Colourful Trips: 1 day Canberra Trip
This Canberra day tour will show you a capital city unlike any other and you have to actually visit Canberra to understand why. World class attractions, amazing architecture and futuristic planning all play their part in making Canberra one of the world's most modern and progressive ...
This is the only small group day trip to Canberra so is far more personal and enjoyable than any other options, as well as being the only Canberra day trip to run on the weekend.
It also forms the first leg of the High Country 2 day/1night trip Sydney to Melbourne so passengers can continue their journey from Canberra onto Melbourne which is a great way to start their travels from Sydney, not to mention a great upsell.
Commentary is very important on the Canberra day trip because Canberra has to be explained as to how it came about and the grand plan/design which makes it so unique. For many people seeng a country's capital is interesting and the people who least understand Canberra are Australians themselves!
So when someone asks for Canberra day trip they're obviously the type of person who's interested in capital cities. Therefore you can sell this tour with confidence as being the best there is.
What is Floriade?
From mid September to mid October Canberra hosts Australia's largest flower festival which is extremely popular. This tour will go to Floriade when it is being held which is usually four consecutive weekends and not go to the National Museum or National Gallery
Sometimes there are special exhibitions on at the National Gallery so we can drop off pax here on request then pick them up later
- National Parliament House - You'll feel the might and privilege of our Australian democracy as our guide takes you through this architectural masterpiece costing $1.1 billion. From the inner halls of power to walking on the roof, this is an amazing building!
- Australian War Memorial - A time of reflection as you discover the legends of Gallipoli, the ANZACs, the sacrifices and losses suffered by Australians in past wars fought around the world.
- National Museum of Australia -Controversial and popular, Australia's most modern museum has won national awards with its interactive mix of exhibits and displays highlighting Australia's diverse history and culture.
National Gallery of Australia - The premier art gallery and museum in Australia holding over 120,000 works of art from all around the world, including Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander art. This is an alternative option to visiting the National Museum of Australia.
- National Embassies - We'll take you to Yarralumla, for a close look at many national embassies, each one unique and designed to reflect aspects of the country's culture.
- Mount Ainslie - Take in the impressive 360-degree views over the capital city and surrounding mountain ranges of Canberra.
- Captain Cook Memorial Jet - See the spectacular 145 metre high spire of water soaring above Lake Burley Griffin.
- Wild Kangaroos - We often see wild kangaroos, so we'll be sure to stop for photos!
- Floriade - from mid September to mid October this tour visits the annual flower festival called Floriade instead of the the National Museum or National Gallery
Departs Every Saturday:
7.150am Kings Cross (outside Holiday Inn)
7.30am YHA Central
7.35am Nomads Westend
7.40am Base Hostel
7.50am Wynyard Station (in front of Menzies Hotel)
7.55am Circular Quay (in front of McDonalds)
Returns: 8:30pm approx.
Lunch is at own expense. There are almost two hours of free time when pax can choose the following
- National Gallery of Australia - free or
- National Museum of Australia - free