Speak to one of our team about getting your tax back!
When you work in Australia your employers are obliged to withhold tax from your earnings and pay this to the ATO (Australian Tax Office). The rate of tax that your employer will deduct will be between 13% - 32.5% and will mainly be determined by how you fill in your tax file declaration form* when you start working.
It is vital that you fill this form in and let your employer know what your Tax File Number (TFN) is otherwise you will end up being charges 46.5% in tax.
The above might seem like a lot of your earnings will go on taxation but the good news is that in most cases temporary visa holders such as 417 Working Holiday Makers are entitled to file for a refund of such taxes either at the end of the financial year (30th June) or when departing the country permanently.
The process of claiming this refund can be complicated so we have teamed up with taxback.com to assist you with such matters – taxback.com have 6 offices across Australia and have a 24/7 hour service to allow people to take care of their tax refund when most convenient for the customers
The average income tax refund for working holiday markers with taxback.com is $2600 and to see what you are due you can register for a no obligation free estimation or if you prefer to speak to a consultant first register for a call-back
In other to process an application with taxback.com you will need to provide the below:
- Completed taxback.com application form
- Payment summary or final payslip for each job you have had in the tax year
- Photo ID
Processing times for refunds depend on when you apply, if you are applying at the end of the financial year (30th June) then the application will take 10 – 12 business days as this is an electronic return however if you are leaving Oz in the middle of a financial year and want to apply for an early assessment then this is a paper return and will take 6-8 weeks.
Why use taxback.com for your Australia Tax Return?
- No refund no fee - tacback.com take their fees from you refund so you can be sure that they will keep in touch with the ATO to get your money back as fast as possible
- Lost Documents? No Problem – taxback.com understand that when traveling in Australia it is easy to lose paperwork so they have a dedicated team that will trace any pay documents that you have lost and need to finalise your application
- 24/7 contact – taxback.com have 24/7 chat facility on their website that will allow you to find out what is happening with your application at any time
- Office Locations – taxback.com have offices across all the major cities Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Darwin, Perth and Melbourne making it easy for you to get in and see a representative face to face and get all sort.
*You will be required to fill in a tax file declaration form for every job when you start and on this form you will be asked to declare if you are an Australian resident or non-resident for tax purposes (question 7 on this form) – it is very important that for your first 6 months at least in Australia that you tick ‘NO’ to this question to avoid running into problems